Saturday 15th August 2015
Newtonmore vs Kyles
Aberdein Considine Camanachd Cup Semi Final

Report by The Strathy

Given that Newtonmore and Kyles occupy the top two places in teh Premier League it wa a disappointing first half with neither side able to make any real impact.

Kyles came out strongly after the break and after a period of pressure took the lead when a neat inside pass from Robbie MacLeod found Dunkie Kerr in space and he blasted home a 30 yard rocket

Newtonmore were struggling to find their rhythm as Kyles threatened to extend their lead but in the 71st minute they forced a penalty after Calum Miller had impeded Glen Mackintosh.  The latter's well struck penalty was superbly saved by Kyles goalkeeper John Whyte but he was helpless as Paul MacArthur reacted first to brilliantly sweep home the rebound.

It was then Newtonore's time to dominate and on the stroke of full time Fraser Mackintosh broke clear, only to be thwarted by another fine save from Whyte.

Extra-time had barely started when Kyles Grant Irvine floated a shot from 40 yards which had Newtonmore goalkeeper Michael Ritchie scrambling to deflect it over the bar for a corner.  That was a near as either team came to breaking the deadlock in the opening period of the 30 minutes of extra time.

However, there was not long to wait for a goal after the restart - just two minutes - when Roberto Zavaroni blasted home a deflected shot from 30 yards.

The Eilan side pushed forward in numbers to try and find an equaliser and were punished five minutes later when Gordon Whyte had the easiest of tasks to convert when he was found in acres of space on the edge of the D.  Keeper Ritchie made a brave attempt to make the ground and smother the shot but it was to no avail.

Evan Menzies scored in the 120th minute for Newtonmore, but only seconds remained before wild celebrations started on the Kyles bench as the final whistle blew.

Newtonmore manager PJ Mackintosh said he was hugely disappointed as the club's dream of winning the Camanachd Cup to mark their 125th anniversary was shattered.  The Blue and Whites lost out to rivals Kyles Athletic at Taynuilt.

Mackintosh said afterwards "At that level between the two leading teams there is a fine line between winning and losing.  I thought we were playing well enough at 1-1 to go on and win it.  Fraser Mackintosh ha a huge chance in the last minute and we're convinced John Whyte's foot was at least 12 inches of teh ground when he stopped it and we shoudl have had a penalty.  Earlier Fraser had the ball in the net only for an offside decision which baffled us.  We didn't play badly on the day, but fine margins told in Kyles favour".

Scorers for Newtonmore:
Paul MacKintosh (71), Evan Menzies (120)

Newtonmore Lost 3 - 2