Match Report

Saturday 17th September 2016

Newtonmore vs Oban

Camanachd Cup Final @ An Aird, Fort William

Report by The Strathy & Pictures by Judith Houghton


no1Owen Fraser
no2Stephen Macdonald no4Andy Mackintosh  no3Michael Russell
no5Rory Kennedy
18 Ackie Macraeno6Jamie Robinson8Paul Macarthur
12Glen Mackintosh no10Evan Menzies9Neil Stewart
no7 Norman Campbell

11Fraser Mackintosh15 Drew Macdonald no16 David Fraser14Craig Ritchie17Conor Jones

Newtomore Won 1-0


The Eilan side beat Oban Camanachd on Saturday 1-0 maintaining their perfect record against their opponents in teh final of the Scottish.  It was their 5th Camanachd Cup final win against the Oban side in a record which stretches back to the resumption of the sport after World War II.  Glen Mackintosh scored in just the third minute, and that proved to be enough for the club to lift the sport's biggest prize at An Aird in Fort William.  Man of the Match and recipient of the Albert Smith medal was Andy Mackintosh.

Both Newtonmore and opponents Oban have outstanding defensive records this season so it was no surprise that the Camanachd Cup Final was settled by a single goal.  The clubs, who had not met this season prior to the game, were seperated by an early strike from the Eilan side's prolific marksman Glen Mackintosh.  He volleyed home in the third minute from 15 yards after great build up play by Evan Menzies.  Going one up so early in the game settled any nerves there may have been in the necomers to the Newtonmore camp and the team continued to press.  Minutes after the opener, the Blue and Whites veteran Norman Campbell broke through on goal, but fired his shot wide.  Oban keeper Gavin Stobbart was forced into several good saves to keep the eager Blue and White forward line at bay.  But the West Coast team gradually gained a foothold in the game thanks to the pace of midfielder Lorne Dickie.  They claimed their share of possession, but Newtonmore's defensive machine was again in command and the Oban players were forced to shoot from distance.  Owen Fraser in the Newtonmore goal had things relatively easy but he was forced into one outstanding save after a close effort from Daniel Cameron.  Oban resorted to sending long ball's forward into the corners where they were chased down by teenage forward Daniel MacVicar.  His speed tended to force full-back and captain Steven MacDonald out side to counter.  Although MacVicar managed to fire a number of balls across into the danger area, the other Oban forwards were too tightly marked to be able to make anything of it.  MacVicar did manager to put the ball in the More net but it was correctly ruled offside with two Oban players clearly in the area before the ball.

After the break, Oban might have hoped to come more into the final, but that possibility was countered by More manager PJ Mackintosh.  Having made one change after the first half injury to forward Neil Stewart, he chose to bolster his centre-line by introducing the speedy Drew Macdonald in placde of Jamie Robinson.  With Dickie now more tightly marked, More began to push forward.  Stobbart pulled off several outstanding saves including one from a Mackintosh rocket which he bloked with the underside of his outstretched arm.  At the other end, the Oban attack continued to be thwarted by the More defence which was as ever in commanding form and marshalled by Macdonald.  The one time they did force their way through, MacCuish was brought down just outside the area but Cameron's strike from the free-hit was well saved by Frasser.  Shortly afterwards, Oban defender Scott MacKillop was booked for bringing down Menzies in much the same way, but the three attempts that MacKillop before getting his man meant he was booked. Then came a moment of real controversy in the 70th minute when Norman Campbell was brought down by keeper Stobbart just outside the D when clear through on goal.  He tried to go past the keeper to the left of the goal, but there was contact and he fell heavily.  Campbell got back up to his feet quickly and controlled the ballt to go past a defender and slot the ball in the goal.  Unfortunately, the goal judge flagged immediately and referee Robert Baxter for some reason failed to play advantage.  Oban finished strongly and Dickie made Fraser save with his feet from distance, but Newtonmore always looked in control with their defensive teamwork to claim the cup for the 31st time. 

Newtonmore Manager PJ Mackintosh said "I knew it would be a tight game as Oban have been playing really well with a new discipline under manager Iain Hay.  We played pretty well.  We didn't create as many chances as we would like, but the referee let the Oban defence away with quite a lot.  We worked hard, stuck to our task and were the better team.  Oban competed well and they will certainly reach more cup finals.  We'll enjoy this then turn our thoughts to the treble".


Scorers for Newtonmore

Glen  Mackintosh (3)

ev   glengoal