Match Report

Saturday 30th July 2016

Kingussie vs Newtonmore 2nds

Report by Dave Fallows

Newtomore Won 6-0


Newtonmore retain Sutherland Cup

Newtonmore retained the Sutherland Cup - the first double win by the Blue and Whites since 1928 - in what in the end turned out to be a one-sided game at the Dell against Kingussie. Both sides opted for experience in defence with the returning Cameron Binnie at full back for Newtonmore and the double pairing of Rory Fraser at full back and Ronald Ross at half back for Kingussie - and for the first twenty four minutes both sides showed the solid defence that might be expected - and Ross showed that he still very much had that knack of spatial awareness that put him in the right place at the right time to clear potential dangers before they became real threats. On the usual superb surface, both sides displayed excellent ground skills and clean hitting out of defence that ensured a fast flowing game - apart, perhaps, from a rather too finicky approach by the referee that tended to break up the flow when it might have been better to let the normal cut and thrust of the game continue.

But by the twenty fourth minute, Newtonmore had discovered that keeping attacking moves out on the wings tended to disrupt the centre field defensive array and a move down the right side saw the ball passed to Duncan Gorman in space on the penalty spot with the time to take aim and let fly. Robert Shiells in the Kings’ goal reached the shot well enough, but such was the fierceness of the strike that he couldn’t stop it from spinning away off his stick into the goal. From this point, Newtonmore began to pile on the pressure, with veteran Kenny Ross in midfield having an otustanding game to ensure solid ball suplly to the front runners. On 34 minutes a cross from the right by Newtonmore’s Darrin Fowler was partially intercepted, but the deflection took the ball to Conor Jones standing centrefield about eighteen yards out in acres of space and he gratefully accepted the time and room to lash an unstoppable shot home for ‘More’s second. Just a minute later, Jones was on hand again on a narrow angle to let fly with another fierce shot into the roof of the net for the third, where matters remained until half time. After the interval, Kingussie began brightly and John Mackenzie in the Newtonmore goal did have several saves to make from the the efforts of the up and coming stars of the future, Anderson, Borthwick and Young, but it was Newtonmore once again who nailed the next strike on 64 minutes with a shot from Martin Hall on the edge of the D. On 77 minutes, Iain Robinson added the fifth, leaving just enough time for Jones to score in the 89th minute to make the result 6-0 to Newtonmore and complete his personal hat trick. This was, in the end, a substantial victory with Newtonmore’s bigger, stronger and more established side simply overwhelming the not inconsiderable efforts of the Kingussie side who never gave up, created several chances without reward and played a full part in a sporting and well-disciplined game. Overall, a credit to the young players on both sides.